Upcoming Buffalo Geological Field Trips. Note that you will need a hard hat, steel toed shoes, protective eye wear, long pants and be a Member ($15 for individuals, $20 for families).
Field Trips for 2015
1. April 25 – Sterling Hill Super Dig, Ogdensburg, NJ for fluorescents. $21 per person plus $1.50 per lb of rock taken. Must pre-register at http://sterlinghillsuperdig.org. Fluorescent Mineral Capital plus many rare species. Mine and museum tours included. Food and bathrooms available on site. Suggest staying in motels in nearby Franklin, Sussex or Sparta, NJ. (note this is open to the public)
2. May 2 – Penfield Quarry Open House – 746 Whalen Road, Penfield NY. All Ages. Arrive by 6:45 to sign in and hear Safety Talk. Open to the public. Well-supervised children and power tools are allowed. Hard Hat (bicycle helmet for children), safety glasses, sturdy footwear, long pants. Fluorite, Selenite, Calcite, Dolomite, Sphalerite, Galena. Must stay back 20 feet from quarry wall and drop offs.
3. May 22-25 (Memorial Day Weekend) – Hickory Hill, Fonda, NY. Biannual dig for Herkimer Diamonds. $10 per person fee.
4. May 30-31- National Limestone Quarry, Mount Pleasant Hills, PA. Meet at 8:30am, enter at 9:00 AM dig all day one or both days. Please bring specimen to donate to the Quarry owner. Digging two days to work deeper into wavellite layer. Adults and supervised children. Hard hat, steel toed shoes, eye protection, gasoline saws are permitted with safety gear. Bring lunch, water, insect repellant. Expect to find calcite, strontiatnite, wavellite, quartz, a few fossils. Mt. Pleasant Mills is approximately 4 hours and 18 minutes from Buffalo.
5. June 6- Niagara Peninsula Geological Society 49th Annual Gem & Mineral Show, Heartland Forest, 8215 Kalar Road, Niagara Falls, ON. Time: 10 am to 5 pm Cost: $3 (children under 12 free). http://www.ccfms.ca/clubs/NPGS/show.htm
6. June 6-7 – Wayne County NY Rock and Gem Show, Greater Canandaigua Civic Center, 250 N. Bloomfield Rd, Canandaigua, NY http://www.wcgmc.org/12.html
7. June 13-14 – Pictarin, NY. Rose Road and Selleck Road. Rose Road is in Pitcairn, NY and Selleck Road is in West Pierrepont, NY. Finds last year included fluorescent scapolite, diopside, blue calcite, actinolite, tourmaline and mica. Good hunting.
8. June 20 – Aecon Quarry, Marmora, Ontario Canada. 6426 REgional Road 14, Marmora. Meet at 8:30am, enter at 9am and dig to 3pm. Must be $18. $10 Canadian. No saws. Must pre-register with Don Lapham.
9. July 3-5- 4th of July Weekend, 2015 – Egansville and Quadeville Beryl Pit, Ontario. Apatite, sheets of mica, amazonite, cleavelandite, titanite, pink calcite and tourmaline have been found. Combine with sightseeing and you have a great holiday vacation. Good hunting.
10. September 19 -Aecon Quarry, Marmora, Ontario Canada. 6426 REgional Road 14, Marmora. Meet at 8:30am, enter at 9am and dig to 3pm. Must be $18. $10 Canadian. No saws. Must pre-register with Don Lapham.